Saturday, December 29, 2007

Etc.

There's a bunch of new genre novels sitting on my bookcase I didn't get around to reading that might belong on my best of lists. But will be reading in the next few months.

Dreamsongs by George R.R. Martin
Retro Pulp Tales edited by Joe R. Lansdale
Radio Freefall by Mathew Jarpe
Gentlemen of the Road by Michael Cambon
20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill
Selling Out by Justina Robson
Baltimore by Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden
End of the World Blues by Jon Cournay Grimwood
Queen of Candesence by Karl Schroeder
The Last Green Tree by Jim Grimsley
The Children of Hurin by J.R.R. Tolkein
Brasil by Ian McDonald
Micheal Tolliver Lives by Armistead Maupin
Halting State by Charles Stross
A Companion to Wolves by Sarah Monnete and Elizabeth Bear
Dawn by Tim Lebbon
Android’s Dream by John Scalzi

4 comments:

Carl V. said...

I'll be interested in your opinions on Children of Hurin, Baltimore, and Android's Dream, all books I really, really enjoyed in 2007.

I'm also interested in checking out 20th century ghosts sometime this next year.

David said...

Hey Carl,
I'm reading Android's Dream right now, and I'm liking it a lot. :)

20th Century Ghosts, I just finished and was pretty disappointed on the whole, and am debating about posting a review for it. I'm not a big short story fan. A couple of the stories were good, tho. Given all the rave reviews for it, I might have succumbed to expecting too much.

Baltimore is pretty high on my list so I'll get to that in the next few weeks.

I am a big Tolkien fan, but am dragging my feet on the Hurin book for some reason.

Jeff S. said...

I felt the same way about the Hurin book as well. It sat on my shelf for over six months before I finally cracked it. By the end of the book though I was so glad I finally read it. It really felt right and I was so glad to return to Tolkien's word one more time. I hope you post a review after reading this one someday.

As for Baltimore. It was great gothic horror fun. Highly recommended. Of course I'm a big Mignola fan so I might be a bit biased. :)

David said...

Stayed tuned... I'll get to them and will post reviews :)