Sunday, December 23, 2007

The Year's Best Reads - Fantasy

In no particular order
  • The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson - While my love/hate for this series flourished, I mostly enjoyed this one.
  • The Myth Hunters by Christopher Golden - Contemporary fantasy quest thriller. Good fun.
  • X-men: The Return by Chris Roberson - Better than any of the monthly X-men comics this year.
  • Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson - A timeless classic that reads like a fresh tale.
  • The Sword-Edged Blonde by Alex Bledsoe - A healthy antidote to the ills of the fantasy genre.
  • Scar Night by Alan Campbell - Inventive fantasy page turner.

I must admit I hit a certain level of fantasy genre burnout with these much talked about but generally disappointing books contributing: Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch, The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie, Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley and Shadowfall by James Clemens. As well as frustration over a couple of no-shows, namely A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin and The Born Queen by Greg Keyes.

2 comments:

Carl V. said...

Scar Night is one I need to pick up...most especially because I ordered a copy of the prequel from Subterranean Press because of the fantastic Dave McKean cover.

David said...

Robert over at Fantasy Book Critic has posted a review of Lye Street and he liked it. I pretty much agree with him on Scar Night. I had some mixed feelings about it, but it stuck in my head like a 80s pop song. I am looking forward to the sequel Iron Angle.