Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Years Best Reads - Science Fiction

  • Death's Head by David Gunn - This old fashioned pulpy adventure might be my favorite book of the year. The sequel , Maximum Offense is high on my list.
  • Orphanage & Orphan's Destiny by Robert Buettner - The hero Jason Wander's voice is endlessly entertaining. Third in this series, Orphan's Journey is coming in April.
  • Deadstock by Jeffrey Thomas - New weirdish mash up rocks. Can't wait for the follow up, Blue War.
  • Starship: Mutiny, Starship: Pirate & New Dreams of Old by Mike Resnick - I read a bunch of Mike Resnick this year but these are the best. Starship: Mercenary is out now and I'll be reading it soon. Resnick is now one of my favorite writers.
  • Mindscan by Robert J. Sawyer - Sawyer's another one of my new favorite SciFi writers. I read seven of his novels this past year and greatly enjoyed them all, but this one is my favorite of the bunch.
  • The Sky People by S.M. Stirling - Another old fashioned SciFi adventure that I greatly enjoyed. In the Courts of the Crimson Kings, a follow up is coming in March.
  • War Machine by Andy Remic - More fun than a talking monkey. Anxiously awaiting the sequel, Biohell.

It seems I mostly bent toward military SciFi this year. Last year I was reading more hard SciFi and had Peter Watts Blindsight and Charles Stross Glasshouse among my favorites.

7 comments:

RobertJSawyer said...

I'm honoured and thrilled to be on your list. THANK YOU!

David said...

Mr. Sawyer: You've given me much thought provoking pleasure this past year, and reading means the world to a disabled fella like myself. I've certainly become a whopping big fan of yours. I'm just glad there's more of your work I have yet to read.

Carl V. said...

I got New Dreams for Old from my daughter for my birthday in November and will be cracking into it in January. I'm looking forward to it.

Death's Head sounds great, I added it to the Amazon list.

I'm also glad to hear something about The Sky People. I gaze at the cover every time I see it...the cover illustration reminds me, in spirit, of one done by Frank Frazetta and featured on the cover of Edgar Rice Burroughs' Beyond the Farthest Star. I'll be picking this one up!

David said...

Carl: Thanks for all the comments. I just discovered your site, www.stainlesssteeldroppings.com via the SF Signal, and I really like it. It seems we share some similar tastes in reading material and I think you'll become a man whose opinion I can trust.

Carl V. said...

Thanks, I feel the same way about you. Hopefully I can keep up with some newer fiction this year as well as all the currently published stuff that I am dying to read. I am for sure picking up Sky People next time I'm in the bookstore. I've been waiting too long and its time to pick it up.

Jeffrey Thomas said...

David, so pleased you liked DEADSTOCK and are looking forward to BLUE WAR. Thanks for putting me on your 10 Best list! Stoked!
- Jeffrey Thomas

David said...

You're very welcome! It was an easy choice, and a very enjoyable read. BTW - Love the cover art for "Blue War".