Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Comic Book Reviews This Week

JLA Classified 50 (part 1 of 5) - This here's a very enjoyable blast from the past. Two old pro's, writer Roger Stern and artist John Byrne, unite for a tale from the Justice League's history. The awesome cover by Josh Middleton drew me in on impulse buy. I have not read this title in years, but I'm on board for this one. Cheers! Best of the Week!

Green Arrow and Black Canary 4 - Sort of a "Tonight on a Special Episode of Blossom" issue that details the aftermath of Green Arrow's son being shot. I only have a vague notion who Connor Hawke is, so there's no real emotional impact for me. However, it looks so great I'm thinking that the N.S.A./ M.I.T. project to clone artist Cliff Chiang really needs to speed up, so he can draw every title DC prints- a.s.a.p. Please get this new Speedy a new costume. She's like looking at Kitty Pride in leg warmers. It's Good Fun!

The Twelve 1 (1 of 12, oddly enuf) - Another impulse by this week. I usually steer clear of Straczynski's stuff, but I kind of liked the art work. I actually rather liked this one. It seems to be, more or less, a Marvel version of DC's mini-series Golden Age from a few years ago. I'm surprised but it's Good Fun!

X-Factor 27 (Messiah complex 11) - The plot moves forward nicely in this chapter but I'm pretty ready for this to be over. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next for the mutants after this event. It's OK.

The Mighty Avengers 7 - The coolest thing about his issue is the Sentry's wife, Lindy, asking Iron Man to kill her husband! Yay! About time! Get rid of that nut! Just wish Lindy had asked Iron Man to bring back the Scarlet Witch, Thor, the Vision, Ant Man, Hawkeye and Quicksilver, instead of Spiderwoman. Apparently the Sentry can bring back people to life by wishing it. The Sentry brought Lindy back to life last issue; can't he bring Captain America back to life? I think I might stop buying this title. It's quickly devolving into New Avengers Deux. Yuck.

Hulk 1 - Ummm. I'm not sure about this title. It didn't really do much for me. I think the absence of previous Incredible Hulk writer Pak is a mistake. I usually like Mcguiness's art work, but it seemed ho-hum to me. A first issue should grab ya pretty good. This one didn't. Think I'll start reading Pak's Warbound title instead. Disappointing.

Teen Titans Lost Annual - This one's pretty much of a mess despite assists from the Allreds. Might have worked with better layouts, but the still story is a weak wreck. Should have stayed lost. Stinks!

No comments: