Monday, January 7, 2008

Short Book Reviews

The Snake Agent by Liz Williams - The paranormal investigation sub genre is pretty crowded field. I've read quiet a few of them over the last few years, and the thought of reading yet another one practically had my eyes rolling back in my head and foam frothing from my mouth. None the less, I found this novel to be quite hard to put down. It's inventiveness certainly raises above it's competition. Part ode to the pulps of yesteryear, part mystery, part new weird and set a few beats into the future, it's all guided by Williams' gently erudite British craftiness into winning combination. I'll certainly be reading more of her work with pleasure. This one is Good Fun!

6 comments:

Carl V. said...

I thankfully haven't read enough in this subgenre to be sick of it, but I do agree that this one stands out. I really enjoyed it. I thought the characters were strong and very likeable and I loved the fact that she mixed so many different influences into the story. I have read the second one and did not enjoy it as much as the first. Took me about half the book to really get into it and then I thought it picked up just fine. I have the third one but have yet to read it. They all have fantastic James Jean covers, don't they?

David said...

Yes, Night Shade certainly knows how to make some good looking books. The cover art (along with many good reviews) did get me to spend my dollars.

Carl V. said...

I'm really pleased with Night Shade as well. They are the ones who published Eclipse One which I recently reviewed and the Michael Whelan cover on that one is fantastic! I'm gathering quite a collection of their books, they are starting to rival Tor, quite possibly my favorite publisher from a book cover perspective, on my bookshelves.

Graeme Flory said...

I've got this one waiting to be read, thanks for the recommendation! :o)
Have you seen 'Wastelands'? It's a collection of post apocalyptic tales (also from Nightshade) that I reckon you'd like.

Cheers

David said...

Graeme: I tend to steer clear of books described as either "wacky" or "post-apocalyptic". Oddly enough, a "wacky post-apocalyptic" tale just might spark my interest. :P

Graeme Flory said...

There's at least one of those! ;o)