Monday, January 28, 2008

Short Book Reviews

The Stealer of Souls by Micheal Moorcock - I've been interested in sampling Moorcock's Elric fiction for some time. Unsure of where to begin, as the shear volume of Moorcock's prodigious writing is quiet intimidating, I decided to start at the beginning with this short story collection. I'm not much of a fan of short stories, and honestly was not expecting much from this old fashioned sword and sorcery book of the 1960s, but I found this book surprisingly readable and enjoyable. It's got one foot firmly in the pulps of yesteryear and one foot treading on timelessness. It reads as fresh today as it must have in 1963, and that's no mean feat. A nice-looking new edition with added content is out next month. Recommended!

5 comments:

Carl V. said...

I have one friend who really enjoyed the Elric books as a teen and two others who have read or are reading all of his stuff. I am in the same place as you in that I would like to start reading these but need to ask where they suggest. This might be a good place. I do like short stories and the fact that they aren't your favorite and this still entertained you makes me even more interested in picking it up. Your description has me intrigued.

David said...

Hey Carl!
There's some new edition of "The Stealer of Souls" coming out in Feb. that looks pretty cool. It's got all the stories from the original collection plus couple other short stories and the novel, "Stormbringer". If I didn't have this old copy, I'd have picked up the new edition, as I'll be reading "Stormbringer" shortly anyway.

Carl V. said...

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for that. Pardon my ignorance, but is Stormbringer the first Elric novel?

David said...

As far as I can tell "Strombringer" is the first published Elric novel.

Carl V. said...

I went and added that book to my Amazon wishlist so that I'll remember to keep an eye out for it next month. Thanks.