Friday, February 1, 2008

Short Book Reviews

Why Not You and I? by Karl Edward Wagner - Cult favorite Wagner is best remembered for his sword-wielding Kane, but he also authored three long out of print horror collections. While I think I enjoyed the first, In a Lonely Place, a bit more than this one, it's still a solidly entertaining and written in nice clear prose. With stories widely ranging from supernatural detective pulp homage, to Emma Peel Avengers fanatics going over the top, to a devil in a psychiatric unit, this is one short story collection I enjoyed from start to finish. Night Shade Books reprinted his Kane novels and short stories in handsome volumes a few years ago, but I'd sure love to Wagner's horror shorts collected in new editions, especially rare and expensive Exorcisms and Ecstasies. Good Fun!

4 comments:

Carl V. said...

Emma Peel Avengers fanatics?!?! I guess I would have to consider myself one of them (I do have a framed poster of her in my home office). I have to read that story!

David said...

That was a good one, and a surprise. Been watching the box set of the Emma Peel Avengers with my brother lately, and I've found I still love that show after all these years. :)

Carl V. said...

I want that Emma Peel box set so badly! I have a couple of the individual boxed sets. We just pulled one out the other day and watched it. It is fun to be introducing this to our teenage daughter as well, indoctrinating the next generation to good classic television.

David said...

I hope she likes the show! Good job, Daddy Carl!