Monday, February 11, 2008

Short Book Reviews

The Book of Skulls by Robert Silverberg - A SF Masterworks selection as well as included in Stephen Jones and Kim Newman's Horror: Another 100 Best Books this novel from 1971 has aged very well. Part a product of it's counter culture times and part timeless youthful exploration of life, it has more in common with Kerouac's On the Road than with other science fiction or horror. Having stumbled upon an ancient text, four college roommates (a jock, a Jew, a fag and a Wasp) take off on a road trip to the American southwest in search of eternal life with the knowledge that two must die. It's a invigorating and chilling read and one I'll remember for a long time. Highly Recommended!

2 comments:

Carl V. said...

I've been wanting to read some Robert Silverberg for some time as he is another of those well known authors that I have yet to read. This one sounds very interesting. I saw a post the other day that mentioned a book he edited with short stories that meant something to him and another book of his own short stories that he put together as examples of his own attempts to emulate those stories. Both sound like books I'd like to read.

David said...

Hey Carl!
After doing some exploring on Silverberg, I think I'll read his "Dying Inside" novel next as I've seen it mentioned often as his best. He's one of those writers like Moorcock that's written so much it's daunting to choose where to start.
I've been busy the last couple of weeks reading about and collecting a stack of older genre novels to read. Pretty fun but my bookcase is groaning :)