Monday, February 18, 2008

Short Book Reviews

The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez - This SciFi mystery staring robot Mack Megaton is a witty, clever, fast moving and stylish romp. I quite enjoyed Martinezs' Gil's All Fright Diner, but this novel is a great improvement on his previous books. Tweaking stereotypes into interesting characters, some great action and funny one-liners had me loving this book. I can easily see this one becoming a classic in years to come, and surely earns a spot on my years best list. Great Robert McGinnis homage cover by Glen Orbik as well. Did I mention I loved this book? Highly Recommended!

5 comments:

Robert said...

I really want to read this one!

Carl V. said...

I thought that was an Orbik cover! This one sounds right up my alley and I will certainly be picking it up on your recommendation. Thanks! Of course that means I'm spending more money. grumble*Thanks*grumble. ;)

David said...

Yeah, it's good easy reading. I imagine you'll both enjoy it.

Carl: Started "The Stainless Steel Rat" last night and should finish it up today. It's really fun. Thanks for the suggestion!

Now you've got me interested in reading a bunch more Harrison. Other than the Rat books, you got any more recommendations?

Carl V. said...

I read the three Deathworld novels and really enjoyed them as well. I also read Planet of the Damned and its sequel Planet of No Return and liked them as well. I think they are both less polished than the Rat books (the first trilogy anyway) and in all three I can see seeds of the other main characters. It is kind of interesting to read them simply to see the various aspects of characters Harrison created. Other than that I haven't read any of his other books. I have the three To the Stars novels: Homeworld, Starworld, and Wheelworld but they are on the to read pile.

And just so you know, I went out and bought this book last night on the way home. :)

David said...

Thanks Carl... adding more Harrison books to my list :) Hope you enjoy the Martinez book. I'll watch for your review.