Friday, February 22, 2008

Short Book Reviews

The Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison - This here thrifty nugget of charm and adventure is nearly 50 years old, and is still a totally entertaining story about an intergalactic con-man turned space cop. Older science fiction can all to easily read as a dated artifact with a all too short expiration date. That's just not the case here. What you get here is a fun, inventive, pulpy space romp. I've never read Harrison before, and I'm glad I did. I'll definitely be reading more of his work. Much thanks to Carl V. for the suggestion. Highly Recommended!

4 comments:

Carl V. said...

Hey, Slippery Jim!!! Woo!!! So glad you enjoyed this one. I think you'll enjoy the second one every bit as much as this one as they tie in closely together. It really does retain a sense of fun and adventure that makes for a pleasurable read today. There are the occasional dated references but they are few and far between.

David said...

After years of only reading new releases, I'm definately becoming more and more interested in exploring older SciFi/Fantasy/Horror that I've missed over the years. It's a real treat to read something that has stood the test of time.

Carl V. said...

I am somewhat in the opposite in that I tend to read, or reread, the older stuff...or maybe the mid-range stuff..and haven't read many of the true classics nor kept up well with the new stuff. I'm trying really hard to hit both ends of that spectrum with my reading this year.

minder125 said...

I've read the whole series back in middle school/High School.

Hell i reread the first three like a few summers ago since there were all in one collection.