Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Short Book Reviews

The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson - (unrevised edition) Much has been written about this fantasy classic from 1954. Notably from Michael Moorcock at the Guardian and the SFSite has posted an interesting review as well. I found this novel to be a brutally operatic folktale of faerie set in the Dane invaded England, which made it a great companion piece for reading along side Bernard Cornwell's on-going Saxon Chronicles. At times the archaic prose was a wee bit awkward but it usually enhances an authentic vibe to the bloody tale. If you are a fan of Norse myth, Vikings or Steven Erickson's Malazan novels, you will want to read this timeless classic. Highly Recommended!

3 comments:

Carl V. said...

This sounds intriguing and Poul Anderson is yet another author I have yet to try. Bad me!

David said...

You pick some pretty good books to read, Carl. (As well as writing awesome reviews.)

Anderson is another one of those writers like Moorcock and Silverberg that wrote SO much, it's hard to know what's the one to pick up. While I enjoyed the subject matter of "The Broken Sword" more, I think I liked his fantasy novel "Three Hearts and Three Lions" a bit more.

Carl V. said...

Andre Norton is another author who, for some reason, I always think of when I see Anderson's name....as if they are attached somehow. I've heard really good things about her as well but she is another of those authors where I don't know where to start.

I'm still tempted to start my Moorcock education with his Metatemporal Detective books simply because the steampunk elements tickle my fancy.