Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Short Book Reviews

The Plutonium Blonde by John Zakour and Lawrence Ganem - Continuing on with my reading of cross-genre hybrids, this hard-boiled SciFi mystery is most notable for it's humor. While some of the jokes are a bit juvenile, they come and go so swiftly there's enough jokes of a wide variety to please just about anyone. I laughed out loud at this book more than anything I've read since that last David Sedaris book I picked up. Packaged with a neat plot and great characters, this books a winner. Really great cover art by Michael Koelsch too. Highly Recommended!

4 comments:

Carl V. said...

Laugh out loud is good, very good. And I am a sucker for pulp fiction art covers. I think you've sold me another book! :)

David said...

Yeah, you might like this one. It's a bit more jokey than The Sword Edged Blonde, but in a similar vein.

Carl V. said...

I don't mind jokey as long as the story is interesting and that the jokes aren't the only thing that it has going for it.

Johnzakour said...

Thanks for the nice words -- john z