Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I've burned through another stack of comic book collected editions and here's what I thought.

 PROPHET - I noticed this science fiction comic from Image ending up on several best of the year lists but it wasn't for me. Quite a few bits were too grotesque for my taste.

 GREEN LANTERN VOL 2 REVENGE OF THE BLACK HAND
Seems a bit premature to bring back Black Hand so soon and I didn't enjoy this book as much as Johns others in the series. I really don't buy the Guardians turning so horribly evil so suddenly. Still it's my favorite title so I'll bear with Johns to see where all this is headed.

NEW 52 ZERO OMNIBUS
First time I've bought one of these 1000+ page Omnibus and it was a bit of a struggle to read physically. The content is wonderful. It's DC at it's best. I didn't care for the Image heroes of Jim Lee's being included so that was a big chuck of under cooked material. Where it features DC heroes it is top notch and I loved the new Green Lantern introduction.
CONAN VOL 13 QUEEN OF THE BLACK COAST
Very lovely art especially the final two chapters by James Harren, but it was Becky Cloonan that drew me to the book. Can't wait for the next volume!
 INCREDIBLE HULK VOL 2 BY JASON AARON
Great cover, eh? Utter mess and failure inside. Do not bother. Go back and read the Greg Pak issues instead.

 FANTASTIC FOUR BY HICKMAN VOL. 5 AND 6
Genius work by Hickman. He's completely revolutionized the FF in ways no one else has ever. Start this series from the beginning and be prepared for some astonishing science fiction. I sure hope Marvel issues an Omnibus of the Hickman era because I've sold this books after reading them and I'd love to go back and read them again and again.
 SPIDERMAN ENDS OF THE EARTH
A tad over long and over blown. Spider-man has been improving of late with terrific collection such as BIG TIME, SPIDER ISLAND and TROUBLE ON THE HORIZON but this one here feels like a minor effort.

No comments: