Wednesday, August 28, 2013

SHAZAM!  Vol. 1

by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank

Geoff Johns and Gary Frank are at it again, making old heroes into something fresh. Their SUPERMAN AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES is one of the great collections of the new century. I'm a big fan of writer Johns and I have been following his work since STARS AND S.T.R.I.P.E. I'm also somewhat of a fan of Captain Marvel. I honestly had a rather negative expectations for this book. I was disheartened to learn that DC had actually given up Capt. Marvel's real name. The one he's been known for since his debut in 1939. He's known as Shazam now. I still prefer his real name but I am clearly not going to win this fight.

This book is restart for Shazam and his origin story. It's been tweaked a bit, mostly in minor ways. The end product is top-notch material, and it is among the best the New 52 has to offer. Johns and Frank have certainly made me change my mind. I completely enjoyed the book. It's a class act. I can not wait for the next volume.

Thanks to NetGalley and DC Entertainment for the free ebook in exchange for an honest review.

Strongly Recommended to all DC Universe Fans.

No comments: